Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Break? What break?

The final exam's over, and I get a two-week break. "Hooray!" - but not just yet. It is indeed a fallacy to believe that the management would allow my colleagues and I have a nice vacation in the Bahamas till the new trimester opens. Fat chance, people. If I'm lucky, I might be left alone for a day or two to do my personal stuff (in the office), but that's about it.

There are workshops, meetings and conferences to attend, researches to be done, planning for the new trimester and some other administrative duties. Don't forget that in the academic line, I've to mark my own answer scripts or help others to mark them. On top of that, break time is also the time when I've to run errands rather than sitting home watching TV with a cup of hot chocolate in hand, or just hanging out in the nearest shopping mall.

Before I could even wink, it's time to say hi to the new kids already! So, people... a break is just a break from teaching. I'm not entitled to be away from office at all unless I apply for annual, medical or emergency leave. If there's an urgent meeting, the management has the right to call me back to work. "I'm on leave today" is no excuse for not attending a meeting. My former head of department once warned us: "Your leave is only a privilege, not your right." - the message is loud and clear.

So, it's not really a clean break. I've heard with my own ears people say things like: "Teaching is good. You get a lot of holidays, very relaxed, easy - just go and teach, come home." - decades ago, they may be right, but not nowadays.

Thank goodness I still have my weekends.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

lol! so cham one ah? nevermind la, still will have holiday one. hehe

Merryn said...

Wait, weekend is for you to cut the grass, do laundry, sweep and mop the floor, chores and more chores... *updating blog lagi*

Sorry dude, I think there's absolutely NO break for you.. :P