Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Dream Traveller

In my entire life, the only other country that I've ever been was Singapore, and that was in my teens decades ago; the only place I travelled by flight was to Sarawak and back when I served there for 3 years as a teacher. I can conclude that in my entire life (till today), I've never actually stepped beyond Malaysia & Singapore while some lucky 10-year-old kid has been to Hong Kong Disneyland, and would be going to Australia end of this year. How I wish that kid was me instead.

I was never born a traveller. I dislike the inconvenience and the tiresome journey after spending hours on the airplane and in transit. Over the past 2 years, especially after my Big-D, friends and relatives have been advising me to get out of my comfort zone and see the world as I'm now a free man. I have been kind of reluctant when I thought of the air fare and the distance.

However, I've come to realise something. I won't live forever; now I'm blogging this post. Tomorrow, I may be gone six feet underground. Life is THAT fragile as we don't know when God will call us home. Before this happens, I am determined to travel though I'm not too sure if I'd do it alone, with a partner, or a group. For someone whose mouth contains tonnes of gold, I think it's wise to go in a group for a start. I'm not rich, despite what others think. Half my salary goes to paying fixed monthly debts, a huge chunk goes to the utility companies, while the rest ... well, I still need my necessities, don't I... leaving nothing much for travelling, and a negative bank balance if I did.

But I'm determined to travel at least once a year. Perhaps to Singapore once more to see the changes - not that I could remember much, anyway. Thereafter, I need to venture away from the little island and see what other continents have to offer. If you've not seen the world, you've read only a page of a book.

Right now, my cup of life is not even half full. I want to fill it up till it overflows if I can. I want to die a well-travelled person, touch the soil of other nations, taste new culinary delights, take snapshots of beautiful beaches and ancient architectures. It's not too late to start. Sounds like a dream? Maybe... maybe not. I think God is all merciful, and He won't take me away so soon. Touch wood!





3 comments:

lena said...

hi, cant remember how i landed here..been hopping from one blog to another..no, it's not a dream, it will realise once you take your first step. Not for anyone else but for yourself. it's achieveable!!

Unknown said...

Sure you can..dreams can move a mountain..lol. Thats what I do too for the past 2 years. I started my travel from Sabah itself then slowly out of Sabah. Yes..life is fragile. We never knew what will happen ahead..

Quay Po Cooks said...

You sounded like me for not being a traveller. My Quay Lo has to almost beg me to travel with him. Like you, I don't like the inconvenience of packing and unpacking and also I hate the time in the plane. The funny thing is, once I reach the destination, I will somehow enjoy myself so for me, I HAVE to talk myself into lifting that heavy first step and once done, the following steps are a whisk! If you keep on dreaming and don't stop, it will come true. You are so right, life is unpredictable, so do the things that make you happy NOW, not later.