Sunday, October 4, 2015

Lost and Found Sheep

I've finally made up my mind that I'm going to attend a baptism class. No one had coerced me into doing it, but the events that happened to me over the past 5 years, and particularly in recent months assured me that I'm ready to take the challenge of being a Christian.

My mom is a Methodist, while my late dad was a Buddhist, both devout in their religion. When I was a kid, mom took me to Sunday school at a Wesley Methodist Church in Malacca, a historical city in Malaysia. Somehow, along the way, I didn't feel the need to go as I disliked being forced to wake up every Sunday to go to church, and I didn't know God enough to want to go. Eventually, when I went into secondary school, I joined the Buddhist society, and found that it suited me well as Buddhism does not believe in a Creator. Don't get me wrong; it's a beautiful religion which I followed for nearly three decades. I thought that finally I've found something that gave my heart peace until something happened in 2005. My three-year marriage broke to pieces.

I was lost. I had nothing to hang on to. No one to talk to besides my parents. Then I remembered that there was indeed someone who could save me - God. I told mom one day: "Mom, I'm following you back to church."

After a 30-year absence, I was welcomed "home" in the same way by the same people except that they have aged a lot. I started going to church regularly with or without my mother. Yet I wanted to be sure that I'm truly ready to accept Christianity. That assurance came when I lost my job about two month ago. I prayed hard one night, confessing my sins to the Lord and asking him to help me get a job. The very next morning, I got a call from a premier private school in Malacca who offered me a teaching job that I had applied for earlier. It was truly God's work, and I told my Christian aunts that God has been listening and has answered my prayers! He is real!!!  I have prayed a lot from the time I decided to return to church, but THIS was special,

God has helped me when He knew I was in trouble. God will answer prayers in His own time.   So is there a God? Yes there certainly is, and I'm ready to be a Christian. There's no turning back this time.


You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” – Jeremiah 13:29 (NIV)

No comments: