Sunday, December 5, 2010

Love - Say What?

Can someone tell me how "love" is defined? Can we show love without showing? Do we have to actually see the action of love to be loved?

Many of us subconsciously or consciously think that love has to be shown. Therefore, the following are all acts of love:
  • kissing and hugging
  • holding hands, waist (and anywhere legal)
  • giving presents, money (and credit cards)
  • remembering birthdays
  • celebrating anniversaries
  • speaking gently to one another
  • sending greeting cards
  • saying "I love you" with plenty of saccharin
  • calling nicknames to show affection

Are the following then, not acts of love?
  • praying silently for someone's health, prosperity and wisdom
  • being worried that someone is not well at the other end of the world
  • making regular phone calls to check on someone
  • going home regularly as you know your folks are getting old
  • stopping your car in a way that it's easier for the passenger to alight
  • working hard so that your family has good financial standing
What's wrong with people anyway? Just because we don't explicitly show or tell you that we love you, you believe that we don't love? I don't have to say: "Hey Jane, I'm helping you out with the chores because I love you." or... "I'm calling you tonight because I love you." Do I have to go to that extend to convince others that I love them?

Honestly, I'm not bothered. I don't have to say it. I just do, and if people say that I have a heart of stone, let them.

By the way, how many of you still say "I love you" to your spouse after years of marriage? If you do and mean it, then good. If you don't, then just do something to show your love. If your spouse takes no notice, it's pitiful.

2 comments:

Lovable Hermit said...

Some people are difficult or never able to be satisfied and has no sense of gratitude. That's why complaint or grumble come in.

Unknown said...

I still do saying I love you to my lovely after 14 years of marriage,,,,,

Love to me is well manifested in the hardest of situation............