Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One Good Deed

This morning, I went to the post office to pay my utility bills. As I opened the glass door, I noticed from the corner of my eye, a woman sitting on a chair against the wall. She was looking at the queue. There were three others in front of me. The young girl in front had finished her transaction, and I thought that lady was her mother. No she wasn't.

When it was the next customer's turn, I looked at the lady again. In her hand, there were some RM50 notes and bills. I realised that she had been waiting for her turn. I have no idea how long she had been sitting there. She had a jacket over her; so either she was feeling very cold or she was not well. Or perhaps she was waiting for the counter to be clear before paying her bills.

Being a shy person, I initially didn't want to open my mouth to ask. Eventually, I gathered enough courage to ask the stranger: "Mau bayar bill, ka? (You want to pay your bills?)" to which she smiled broadly and nodded. I immediately told her to go ahead and pay first. I waited behind her. She paid, and left. I saw a bunch of keys in her hand. Perhaps she was in a hurry to go somewhere.

Well, I'm glad that I've done a good deed. It may be small, but I suppose it's meaningful to that woman, or else she'd probably have to wait till I've done my payment.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

i did the same thing once before this too! :D

FBS Headmaster said...

and they said Chivalry was dead. good job Kev! Act of random kindness a day will make a world a better place to stay =)