Thursday, June 17, 2010

What Birthday?

"Oh, birthdays are very important to me."
"My husband/boyfriend must remember my birthday."
"You must be kidding if you think birthdays are not important."
"It's the man's job to remember his woman's birthday."

Hmm... so what do you think? This post focuses only on two people - the husband and the wife. What do you think of husbands who believe that it's not important to celebrate their spouse's birthday? You may be screaming at me: "Horrors! What nonsense are you talking about?" - let me just say this.

In a marriage, celebrating birthdays is just one of the ingredients to make your marriage taste sweeter. It is not the primary ingredient. Without it, your marriage would still be sweet. There is no point pouting, showing tantrums or arguing when your hubs doesn't remember, or take no notice of your date of birth. It doesn't mean you are insignificant. What matters most - and is paramount - is that your husband is able to provide you security, has long term plans and you're assured that he'll be there for you 24/7/365. What matters most is the fact that he cares for you in his own unique way, and that he is around just for you.

I remembered my ex-wife's birthday each year; every year I gave something to her and I gave her a treat. However, last year, her parents stepped in and wanted to have things their way - I didn't like it, and the issue of the birthday cake cropped up. It became one of the trivial issues that was brought up when she asked for a divorce. I would like to say this: as far as I'm concerned, I'd like to celebrate birthdays (mom's, dad's etc.), but if I don't get you a cake, or if the date just slips my mind for some god-forsaken reason, don't make me look like a criminal who has just murdered someone. Not every husband is into this birthday celebration thingy - and it doesn't mean they love you less.

"He loves me, so he must know my birthday." - not necessarily true. This is one of those unworthy expectations that could cause arguments. Don't expect, and you'll not feel disappointed. Your husband has his own ways of showing his love to you, and celebrating your birthday may not be on his list.

So, people... no birthday bash? It's alright. Don't frown. Be happy that you still have a husband (or a wife, to be fair) who is there by your side to care for your every need - you don't need a birthday cake to remind you of his (or her) love, do you?

5 comments:

Caroline said...

hmm well its true.. but i will wish that my bf or hubby to rmb my bday n pf course celebrate it with me. :)

Unknown said...

People tend to make a simple things to complicated way and when thry trap 'inside'..they looking for scapegoat to cover the mistakes. To me the wishes and rememberance is good enough. Lets the hearts talk..

Kev said...

Caroline: Yup, it's everyone's wish too. Hope your wish will come true. If it doesn't, never mind la :)

Alv0808: Yeah, like what they say "much ado about nothing"?. TQ for the comment.

Merryn said...

I was the happiest celebrating my birthdays before I turned 5 when I was still cute and Birthdays meant having lots of ppl around with lots more of food to eat and the most important element - THE GIFTS! It doesnt matter what was inside, it's just the unwrapping of the gifts that brought me joy.

Now we are all older and more mature. As the number of candles multiply on the cake, the mentality needs to grow too. If somebody is already beyond 30 years old and acts like as if they are only 3, demanding to have a big bday bash each year with a multiple layered bday cake, dat person needs to have a deep look in the mirror and see that the wrinkles that is starting to form is the sign of aging.

So with age comes wisdom and if they still can't comprehend that sometimes it doesnt take a 'hoo hah' celebration to show that you love, that person need to be send back to KINDIE!

Why is my comment here so long???! Ish...

Kev said...

Merryn: so panjang cerita dongeng one. But cool, comment longer next time :)